Q: Rpm goes up I let off gas then it'll shift.. what causes that?

02 Dakota sxt v6. The rpm goes up. I let off gas then it'll shift. What causes this??

A: Hello. Typically this is caused by either a...

Hello. Typically this is caused by either a sticking internal valve in the transmission, or it may be the vacuum module for the transmission. Most of the time this is caused by an internal transmission issue. If the engine is running fine and is producing the correct sensor signals then the transmission is the problem. Also, one thing that will cause this is the vehicle speed sensor. If this fails then this will occur. If you want to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come diagnose your shifting issue and help you fix it accordingly.