Q: How long for mass airflow sensor to recalibrate with new cold air intake?

Car does not run well, after installing cold air intake. Engine analyzer shows fault with mass airflow sensor. How long should it take to re-calibrate for extra air?

Hi, thanks for writing in. The stock mass airflow sensor is designed for stock tuning (air and fuel flow) and will not automatically re-calibrate for additional air flow. Upgraded intakes can lose power with newer cars because most use MAF-based fueling. With a change of pipe size, the fueling is affected, and the factory ECU is calibrated to the stock size. The ECU knows the constants such as pipe size, injector size, and engine size. Once this is changed, you will need to tune to the changes made.

• How long for mass airflow sensor to recalibrate with new cold air intake?