Q: Transmission slipping on a '98 Accord

98 Accord V6. It starts slipping between first and second. Works fine if I manually shift it and after I get going. Do I need new transmission?

Yes. It’s wearing out and on those Accords it costs an awful lot of money. You might look at real professionally rebuilt ones, those guys really do a good job on them. You can find them on the Internet. You ship your transmission and they send you a remanufactured one but it will cost a lot of money.

You’ll have to decide if you want to spend that kind of money on that vehicle for a slipping transmission. If you do, go ahead, but do get one that was remanufactured by a real pro. The Honda guys, that’s all they do. They can do a good job. You don’t want some guy that says "Yes, I rebuild all kinds of transmissions," you’d want a guy who specializes specifically on Hondas. If you want to have the issue inspected before deciding to replace the transmission, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to diagnose your slipping issue.