Q: Transmission slipping on a '98 Accord

98 Accord V6. It starts slipping between first and second. Works fine if I manually shift it and after I get going. Do I need new transmission?

A: Yes. It’s wearing out and on those Accords ...

Yes. It’s wearing out and on those Accords it costs an awful lot of money. You might look at real professionally rebuilt ones, those guys really do a good job on them. You can find them on the Internet. You ship your transmission and they send you a remanufactured one but it will cost a lot of money.

You’ll have to decide if you want to spend that kind of money on that vehicle for a slipping transmission. If you do, go ahead, but do get one that was remanufactured by a real pro. The Honda guys, that’s all they do. They can do a good job. You don’t want some guy that says "Yes, I rebuild all kinds of transmissions," you’d want a guy who specializes specifically on Hondas. If you want to have the issue inspected before deciding to replace the transmission, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to diagnose your slipping issue.