Q: Driver's window will not close with button & dead battery

asked by on September 09, 2016

When I open the driver’s window, it will not close by using the button. The window will go to the top, but then it immediately goes back down. The other windows in the car operate properly. When the battery went dead and had to be started by the roadside assistance, the window problem went away (for now). After the battery had gone dead and then was started, another problem developed: the clock time could not be set any more. Is this an electrical issue and can you tell me what the cause is for the battery, power windows, and the clock?

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1391.75 Get a Quote
Battery will not hold a charge Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello.It is possible that you could have an alternator issue. Many times when the alternator is going bad, the vehicle will start to have all kinds of strange electrical issues.

I would recommend having a qualified mechanic perform a battery and alternator test on your vehicle to determine if these parts are functioning properly. If the alternator has failed, this would be the cause of your battery to go dead.

It is possible that after an alternator replacement, the vehicle could just be jump-started and the new alternator will charge the battery back up. Once the alternator has been replaced, the electrical issues that you are having with your power window and your clock should go away. If you would rather have the battery/electrical issue inspected before doing a repair, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the problem and follow through with appropriate adjustments.