Q: My car is jerking while accelerating and overheating

asked by on August 03, 2017

My car jerks when trying to accelerate and started overheating, saw leaking one day but that's it never again

First check for troubles codes stored by the PCM. I would have the overheating issue diagnosed first as overheating can damage the engine and overheating might be related to the poor acceleration issue. Be sure not to drive the car if it is overheating because overheating can warp the cylinder head and/or engine block causing costly damage. The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level (including that due to leaks), a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket, poor engine running condition or exhaust blockages can also cause overheating (and poor acceleration at the same time). If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.