Q: When stopped at traffic light. My car hesitates and pops in the engine compartment unless you hold down the gas pedal.

When you stop and try to go it hesitate and makes a popping sound in engine compartment. Unless you hold the rpm at 1000 . Acts as tho its out of gas even with a full tank changed all plugs and wires cap and rotor .

Hello there, many faults will cause a popping noise in the engine compartment of your 1998 GMC jimmy. You have done well replacing the spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. If the problem is still there after all those repairs other likely faults are an exhaust leak, vacuum leak, fuel pump, crank position sensor, or a fuel filter.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, a qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your engine pop and hesitation and make any repairs required to resolve the issue.

• When stopped at traffic light. My car hesitates and pops in the engine compartment unless you hold down the gas pedal.