Q: Starter keeps burning the fuses 30 amp.

Hello, Our 2009 Ford Escape is burning the 30amp fuse when turning on. We have replaced maybe eight 30amp fuses. Two mechanics have looked at the car and cannot find anything wrong with it. A few days ago, the car wouldn't start, we put in a new fuse and the car started. While driving we noticed smoke coming out of the hood. We pulled over and sure enough it was the starter burning. We had to tow the car to our house. Most of the time if we put in a new fuse, it will turn on unless the engine is very hot, then it burns the fuse. We have had this issue for about two weeks now. One mechanic mentioned that it could be the Anti Theft system and someone told us it could be related with the ignition. The wires have been checked for a short circuit and the mechanics did not find anything wrong.

A: Hi there. If the starter had power to it wh...

Hi there. If the starter had power to it while you were driving long past when it was started, that means that the starter solenoid was passing current to the starter motor. Why the starter bendix wasn't kicking the starter gear into the flywheel (and causing a ruckus) is a puzzle, or perhaps the sound system was cranked up? I would have the starter examined as a post-mortem (look for burned solenoid contacts). Hopefully, replacing the starter will solve the problem. If not, after the new starter is installed, look for the 12v on the "starter" trigger wire from the ignition switch while the engine is running for spurious "start" voltage. If any appears, more trouble-shooting is in order to determine what is trying to 'start" the engine (besides the igntion switch) while it is already running. If you need someone to come to your vehicle, you can always have one of our experts inspect the starting problem for you so that they can guide you through the proper repairs.