Q: Grinding noise when starting engine.

The starter makes a grinding noise when starting. I started by replacing the starter. This did not correct the noise but allowed vehicle to start. It got to a point where it wouldn't start I have replaced the starter 3 times in 2 months due to them failing to grab the flywheel. I last replaced it about 2 weeks ago. And have since replaced the flywheel. It still makes the noise. I tried a shim since replacing the flywheel and it seems to have made the grinding worse and I do not believe it will grab enough to start the motor with the shim.

Hi there:

Improper alignment or installation of the starter can cause this grinding noise to occur. However, it’s also possible that internal components inside the starter, the starter relay or the flywheel teeth could also be the source. It’s really difficult to diagnose a noise without physically being there to inspect the vehicle on site, so you should have a mobile mechanic complete a car is making a noise inspection, so they can pinpoint the issue and recommend the right repairs.

3. Grinding noise when starting engine.