Q: Key always is getting stuck in the ignition

I love everything about my 2006 Ford Focus except for one thing: the key will randomly get stuck in the ignition and getting it out is quite an ordeal. The car had only 25,000 miles on it when this happened the first time. I tried to force it and broke the key off. That was my fault so I replaced it, but now it's happening again and I am only at 52,000 miles! What can I do to get the key out if it gets stuck again?

A: The ignition key lock cylinder on the 2001 ...

The ignition key lock cylinder on the 2001 to 2007 Ford Focus is prone to binding and sometimes will not release, causing the key to get stuck. The fix is to replace the ignition key lock cylinder in the steering column. The old key and new key need to be cut to match so the same key will open the doors and work the ignition. The new ignition key lock cylinder comes with new keys which can be cut at any locksmith. You can make an appointment with a certified mechanic such a one from YourMechanic to have the key lock cylinder replacement done at your home or office.