Q: Dealership is telling me my radiator is cracked and leaking. Is it safe to drive to another shop?

asked by on October 12, 2016

The dealership says my radiator is leaking and they need to replace it for $900+. I'd like to take it somewhere else to get a second look, but am worried about my car overheating during transit. Should I be safe if there's coolant still in the tank?

It can not be determined to be safe by the information given. The amount of fluid leaking out and how fast it leaks out is not given. Also how far the next shop is was not given. If you drive it to another shop and it overheats during that time on the way you may cause engine damage that will cost a lot more to repair since the engine may need to be replaced if damaged. I would recommend having it towed if you have to drive it more than a few miles to the next shop.