Q: honda civic 2005 overheating intermittently fluids are full. what might cause this. thought it might be thermostat

So i have intermittent over heating. Up until today when it over heated i would blast the heat and it would go down in temp. Today heat going up cold air was blowing from vents. Heat would come on when driving and engine would cool. Once idle it would blow cold air and overheat again. When i got home Popped open the hood and engine did not seem hot. Gauge was at full hot. Could my thermostat be stuck closed or something like that?

A sticking thermostat could cause the overheating you are describing. The intermittent cabin heat might be due to the coolant boiling, at times, and the resulting air pockets block coolant flow to the heater core in the dash. Engine overheating and no heat can, paradoxically, be related. If the thermostat is old anyway, it’s not a bad idea to change it. Furthermore, overheating damages thermostats so if the car has already overheated, no matter where the fault turns out to be (i.e., what part) you’ll still have to put a new thermostat in once or as this is resolved.

Overheating is very damaging to car engines because it causes warping of the cylinder head and/or engine block causing costly damage. So, basically, at this point do get the problem resolved. The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level (including that due to leaks), a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket or poor engine running condition can also cause overheating. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. honda civic 2005 overheating intermittently fluids are full. what might cause this. thought it might be thermostat