Q: My car is loud when driving (sounds like I have no exhaust) and it takes about a min to get up to the speed limit then goes faster

My car got stuck in a snowbank and my friend stepped on the gas to floor it out later that day my car sounded loud when driving (like I had no exhaust) it now takes a min to get to the speed limit and struggles to get up hills, steep hills are the worst. On Friday it kind of sounded like something was dragging under my car but there was nothing. I checked my oil and it was fairly low so I tried to top it up and only got a very small amount in and it doesn't seen to be going down.. There's only a smell when I first start my car like an exhaust smell but it dies down.

Hi There, It sounds like you may have damaged your catalytic converter when your car was stuck in the snow. It may have possibly resulted in the converter housing itself being caved in causing it to not flow properly resulting in the exhaust gases being clogged inside the body of the catalytic converter. The catalytic converter converts toxic exhaust gases into less harmful pollutants that are suitable to be expelled into the atmosphere. When the catalytic converter is clogged, this causes these gases to be backed up into the exhaust system not allowing the engine to breathe properly. When this happens, the engine is forced to work much harder to expel these gases. This often results in the engine bogging down, hesitating, shaking and causing very poor fuel economy. This should also cause a check engine light to come on as the O2 sensors should be reading the incorrect amounts of oxygen in the exhaust gases if this is your problem. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.

3. My car is loud when driving (sounds like I have no exhaust) and it takes about a min to get up to the speed limit then goes faster