Q: Noise coming from the engine compartment followed by blown engine

It seems like the little hiccup my 2007 Kia Optima has been having is a lot more serious than I thought. The hiccup showed up around 500 miles ago and the whole vehicle has just about 57,000 miles on it. The motor started clanking really loudly on my drive home yesterday and I pulled over. The car had to get towed and today I find out that the engine failed completely. What can I do about this in such a new car aside from just putting up the cash and accepting it? I am not happy!

An engine failure is definitely not good news. Engine failures can be caused by numerous things (e.g. low oil pressure, contaminants in the intake, etc.). Thankfully the 2007 Optima is covered by Kia’s 10 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty. Your local dealer should be able to advise if your vehicle is still covered for these engine defects. The dealer may ask you for oil change receipts, so be prepared to present them if needed.