Q: Car screaming and not shifting.

When driving my car does not shift into higher gears. At 55 MPH, it screams and won't go past 2nd gear.

Transmission problems can occur for a number of reasons. On the Equinox, when I have seen this occur it was due to a problem with the valve body in the transmission. Some of the time it is caused by a failing solenoid, but most of the time it is because there is debris stuck in the valve body. In some rare cases a transmission fluid change will help, but not always. You should get some help from a transmission specialist that has experience with this vehicle.