Q: Heater stopped working while weather is very cold

I think my 2012 Chrysler 200 waited until winter to start acting up with the heater! It is very unpleasant when the only heat going to the passengers is coming from the driver’s side of the dash! All the other vents blow cold so I close the ones I can. What an inconvenient problem, in a vehicle with 35,000 miles on the clock! What can I do to fix this without replacing the whole darn heater?

Your vehicle has automatic temperature control between the drivers side and the passenger side through use of an infrared sensor that measures the temperature of drivers and passenger seat area and adjusts the output air temperature to maintain and keep it consistent. This is done by having two separate actuators that control the left or right side cold to heat blend doors. Your system is stuck in the cold mode on the passenger side and not moving to heat as the driver’s side is. The system would have to be scanned for any codes first and then the passenger temperature blend actuator assembly replaced. You could contact YourMechanic to verify the AC assembly and test the system for codes and repair the vehicle for you.