Q: My car is hesitating / jerking at speed intervals of 20 mph, 30 mph, 35 mph and 40 mph.

asked by on November 21, 2016

My car is hesitating / jerking at speed intervals of 20 mph, 30 mph, 35 mph and 40 mph. This comes and goes but happens enough that I have a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow with the dealership. Any thoughts? Additional questions welcomed.

This may be a sign of a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor is a unit in the intake system that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this fails, this can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in an over fueling or under fueling situation depending on the conditions. This may cause a hesitation, loss of power or jerking reaction when this sensor is malfunctioning. When this is not working properly, you may also notice a strong smell of fuel. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your mass air flow sensor.