Q: My engine is smoking white smoke

asked by on July 04, 2016

When I turn my engine over after a few minutes it is starting to puff out white smoke. If I open the throttle a little bit it seems to smoke a little bit more. I thought it might be a coolant leak but I can't seem to figure out the problem. The smoke looks like it's coming out from the front of the engine maybe near the headers but I'm not positive.

From what you’ve described, it sounds like you have a head gasket leaking into the engine cylinder and then out of the exhaust. I recommend having a compression test done to confirm this and see where exactly the leak is. A coolant pressure test may also be necessary to pinpoint what exactly is leaking.

If you need assistance with these checks, feel free to contact a certified technician who can perform the necessary tests to diagnose the source of the smoke. An accurate repair can then be made once the problem has been pinpointed. Good luck.