Q: Transmission Issue

I started noticing a problem last night after engaging into D gear. The main issue is that upon releasing the brakes after engaging, I find the car to not be moving much at all or even not move in some instance, and upon accelerating slightly, the rpm's increases for a bit before the car jerks forward greatly.

Some additional information;

• Problem seems to occur in this pattern - When I reversed, and engaged D after that i.E. When parking and adjusting.

• If I start my car the next day and go into P, there is no problem.

• One fault code but not sure if relevant - idle rpm's higher than expected

• Does not seem to have a transmission oil leak (according to a mechanic)

• Mechanic recommends taking the transmission apart and basically overhauling

• Mechanic suggests that replacing transmission oil will not help

I would like to know what you think is the likely problem, and what's the best way to resolve it first. I keen to avoid taking the transmission apart.

A: Hi there: The symptoms you're describi...

Hi there:

The symptoms you're describing are similar in many ways to restriction of hydraulic fluid inside the transmission. Sometimes flushing the transmission fluid can help remove those obstructions; but in most cases, it delays the inevitable task of removing the transmission and inspecting the internal components for damage. However, there are a few tests that can be done, such as pulling all error codes to determine if it's an outer components, such as a solenoid that may be contributing to the Audi's shifting issues. Having one of our mechanics complete a transmission inspection might also pinpoint the source of your issues.