Q: Transmission is not shifting out of first and won't start have to tap the starter it's a used transmission I just put it in.

asked by on December 15, 2016

My truck won't start in park or neutral I have to tap starter and won't shift out of first goes into drive and reverse just fine the transmission is a used transmission I just put in could it be a neutral safety switch on the side of transmission?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Check the brake switch (same as a neutral safety switch) to see if its working. This switch keeps the engine from starting in gear and only allows the transmission to be in park or neutral to start the engine. Try stepping on the brake pedal and starting the vehicle. Most likely the contacts in the switch have worn down and the switch needs replaced. For the starter, the solenoid is sticking and the starter needs replaced. That is why when you tap on the solenoid that the starter works, but other times it does not work. If you need further assistance with the no start situation, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.