Q: The steering wheel jerks to both sides

asked by on June 23, 2016

My car has a mileage of approximately 120,000 miles. Lately, there have been some very serious steering issues. It is even unsafe to drive the car in this condition. If I drive over bumpy or uneven roads, the steering wheel would suddenly jerk right or left. It happens randomly. When it happens, I have to pull it back to center and keep it there. It also occurs while I'm braking to stop the car at high speeds. I had the tire pressure checked and it is fine. Do you have any advice on how to fix this problem?

Steering wheel vibrates or shakes Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. The front end needs to be checked first for any loose parts. Any worn out joints or bushings will cause this. If those are all fine, then the problem is usually in the rack and pinion and it will need to be replaced. If you are going to have it repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the steering problem.