Q: What does the Charging System light mean on the dash in a 2012 Honda Civic?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does the Charging System light mean on the dash?

The Charging System indicator on your car’s dash looks like a battery with a + and – symbol. Like most of your other dash lights, it should come on briefly and then go off after you crank the engine. Here are a few other things you’ll need to know about it:

1. The self-test should only last for a few seconds and then the light should turn off.

2. If the light doesn’t turn off, it means there’s a problem with the battery, alternator, or another component in the charging system.

3. If it comes on while you’re driving, it indicates that the battery is not being charged, usually due to a failed alternator or a broken belt. Turn off your accessories (heat/air, radio, etc.) and have your car inspected immediately.