Q: Truck has a oil pressure low light

Driving home after getting off the highway my oil pressure low light came on. I immediately pulled over to check the oil,the oil level was fine. I started the vehicle again and heard a knocking sound from the engine. I have not drove the vehicle since what could be the problem

A: Hello. Most of the time when this light com...

Hello. Most of the time when this light comes on with an engine noise like this it is caused by a failing oil pump. If the pump fails internally then this will occur. It can also be caused by a failure in one of the main bearings in the engine, which will cause low oil pressure. I would start by draining the oil and changing the oil filter. If there is any metal in the oil, then you have a serious engine failure. If the oil looks fine, then it may just need the pump. If you are going to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your Oil Pressure Light and knocking sound.