Q: My car is not cranking - 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

My car just stop working I have change the fuel filter, coal pack, and crank sensor but it still want crank. I got a new battery my starter and alternater is good I have change my relays. But want crank.

Hi there. If you’ve recently replaced the battery, crank sensor, and the starter, and the engine won’t crank over, then it’s possible that you might have seized up the engine or you have a broken timing chain. The best way to know for certain is to try and hand crank the engine over with a breaker bar.

Remove the spark plugs first to reduce the engine compression and see if you can turn the engine over. If you can’t, it’s likely that you have internal damage to the motor that needs to be repaired. The best way to know for certain and save time, money, and resources on misdiagnosis is to have a certified mechanic, such as one of YourMechanic’s local mechanics, come to your location to determine why the car is not cranking and replace the timing chain if needed.