Q: Stuck bolt preventing access to timing belt

I need your advice on how to break a bolt loose. I have been working on my car and I need to replace the timing belt. To get to that belt, I will have to remove the harmonic balancer, which is held by a bolt. That bolt is totally stuck and I can not get it loose. I’ve gone through three ratchets trying to get it off. (Don’t want to have to buy more ratchets.) I even used a Bolt-Breaker spray, but that didn’t help either. How do I get this extremely-stuck bolt loose?

Hello. The crankshaft pulley/harmonic damper bolt on virtually all engines is often tightened to 200-400 ft lbs of torque. On the Honda, the specification is a mild 14 ft lb, but FOLLOWED by 90 degrees of additional twist. Bottom line - that bolt is really on there - use a 1/2" or 3/4" breaker bar with the appropriate crankshaft locking pin in place to hold the crank still. It may also require a piece of pipe to extend the breaker bar. A ratchet isn’t going to do it. If you need help with a timing belt replacement, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to perform this service.