Q: Problems with shifting from neutral to reverse

asked by on September 21, 2016

The car has an automatic transmission and it cannot seem to shift from neutral to reverse or park. This occurred a couple of times already and I'd like to find out what the issue might be. When it happened, I was moving the shifter knob a bit and it helped with shifting. What should I check first?

It sounds like the shifter linkage from the shift lever to the transmission has become worn, or is out-of-adjustment for some other reason. Have a trained professional, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the shifting trouble and adjust or repair the linkage.