Front wheel rumbling/rattling noise at consistent speed h...

Q: Front wheel rumbling/rattling noise at consistent speed

asked by on July 21, 2017

As stated in the title, whenever I put cruise control on or go the same speed, after a few seconds I get a sound coming from the front right wheel that sounds like a rumbling/rattling sound. The mechanic told me it was definitely the wheel bearings. Well, I got them to replace the wheel bearings which left a nice dent in my pockets, and I still have the same problem. It seems like everywhere I look says it could be something a million other things.

Hi there. In all honestly, the symptoms you are describing can be multiple sources, from wheel bearings (as the initial mechanic thought) to warped brake rotor, excessive wear on CV joints, or transmission components. It’s also possible that a drive or serpentine belt pulley is damaged or another drive pulley. Instead of having someone attempt repairs, it’s best to have a professional mechanic complete a car is making a noise inspection. Let them test drive the vehicle to attempt to replicate the symptoms and isolate the source of the noise. This is typically the best way to determine what is actually causing the noise as opposed to making an educated guess.