Q: Transfer case is making a noise.

asked by on December 21, 2016

Can high oil consumption result in transfer case problems?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Depending on what type of noise that the transfer case is making, the oil type and amount has a big factor in the transfer case emitting a noise. If the wrong type of fluid is put in the transfer case, then the chain or gears will not lubricate properly and cause a whining noise. Also, if the fluid is always low, the bearings will make a loud whining noise as the bearings are not being lubricated. Check the transfer case for any external leaks. The most common leaks are the output shaft seal since it gets the most pressure and abuse. Fix any seals and make sure that the transfer case is full of the oil that the owner’s manual specifies. If you need further assistance with your transfer case emitting a noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr