Q: Car stalling when starting

Recently, my car started stalling out when I fire it up. I get some shuddering and shaking, then the RPMs jump. It's hard to pinpoint, because it's intermittent, and the times it happen don't seem to follow any pattern - warm weather, cold weather, it doesn't make a difference. I'm wondering if it's the battery. What causes shaking or stuttering when my car starts?

A: The first thing to check is to see if the c...

The first thing to check is to see if the check engine light is on and diagnose any service codes before continuing. If the problem occurs only when the vehicle is first started, then have the fuel pressure checked to see if the fuel pump is holding pressure after shutting the engine off. If the pressure is not held then the fuel pump may need to be replaced since a lack of pressure at start up will cause a stall or rough running for about three to five seconds after start up. A certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can inspect the cause of the stalling at your home or office.