Q: Heard loud noise, engine light turned on, the a/c stopped working and the car was very hard to drive. I saw a broken hose. Help!

asked by on April 06, 2017

Was driving the car just fine when all of a sudden we heard a loud noise come from the front. Seconds later the a/c stopped working. Turned the car off and back on but it took a while to turn on and the steering wheel got kinda hard to move. After that the car overheated. Hose broke off. I think it's the overflow hose. I have a 2014 Ford fiesta with a lot of mileage. What could have happened and how do I prevent it?

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote
Thermostat Replacement $141.93 - $702.78 Get a Quote
Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement $96.60 - $325.96 Get a Quote
Water Pump Replacement $172.27 - $1145.49 Get a Quote

Overheating can be caused by a number of issues. The hose blown off could be the cause as well as an effect. The engine could have begun to overheat before the hose blew off due to things like a stuck thermostat, broken serpentine belt which drives the water pump, or even the water pump itself. Power steering assist may have been effected by either a belt coming off or slipping doe to the coolant getting everything wet, and reducing electrical assist to the pump. Have a certified technician inspect the vehicle as soon as possible to find and correct the exact cause. Engine damage can occur if you continue to drive it while overheating.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr