Q: How to clean out a gas tank that has been sitting for 10+ years.

I have a 1985 Scottsdale that I am fixing up that has sat for 10 years or more. I have dropped the gas tanks, and really need to know what to use to clean them out good.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. I've a...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I've always found that the best way to clean a fuel cell, whether it's diesel or gasoline, is to remove it from the vehicle and flush it with a lot of solvent. The problem however with an 80's fuel tank is that it's probably made out of really low grade metal and may be rusted inside. However, cleaning it may also cause a leak in the gas tank to occur. If this is the case, cleaning it will cause the rust particles to flake off more and get trapped in the fuel filters. You might want to consider installing a new fuel tank that will last much longer than the old fuel cell. If you would like help with this replacement, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your fuel tank and perform the replacement for you.