Q: Car turns off. First it would turn off in reverse and when I would stop at a red light or slow down to make a turn.

asked by on March 22, 2017

Car turns off. First it would turn off in reverse. Then when I would stop at a red light or slow down to make a turn. It turns back on like normal. When I drive it in the freeway non stop it doesn't turn off. The throttle body was replaced. Two sensors near the computer were replaced. I took it to an electronic shop and they said they couldn't see anything wrong with it. I finally took it to a transmission shop and they said its not the transmission. Please help me. I don't know what else can it be. I'm planning on taking it back to my mechanic tomorrow morning. Its an old car but its reliable until now. It has over 221k miles, automatic, 1.8 engine.

Thank you in advance for hearing me out. Nehv

Hi there. For the reverse stalling condition, check the Idle Air Control Valve and see if its plugged up. If a IAC valve is plugged up, an engine will stall out when going into gear and could cause issues when slowing down. For the steering and stalling issue, check the power steering fluid and see if its low. If the fluid is full, then the pressure control valve in the power steering is not releasing causing the pump to load up making the engine stall. Try turning the vehicle with the engine running and at a stopped location.

If the engine stalls out, then its the pressure control valve, but if it does not stall out, then there could be an issue with the transmission.

If you need further assistance with your engine stalling, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.