Q: Problem with replacing the TPS

My TPS recently went out (so we believe) and the car's been falling into limp mode quite often. I bought a replacement TPS from an auto store, but my dad (who was putting it on the car) couldn't find where to put it, so he insists it's not the right part. I got part EC 3304, which I was assured was the only part for that year. My dad wants to get a TPS for a 2008 to see if that fits, but I was informed that you have to replace the entire throttle body on these years. Could anyone help me here?

A: Your throttle position sensor says it is on...

Your throttle position sensor says it is on the throttle body assembly. Look at the gas pedal position sensor, above the gas pedal, to see if this is the sensor the parts store gave you. This sensor is called the accelerator pedal position sensor.

The code received after diagnosis may be for one of the two sensors but you did not state which code you received, as this would help greatly in isolating the correct sensor that is causing the problem. If you decide to get some assistance with this, consider enlisting a certified mechanic who will be able to replace your throttle body and address any other issues that may come up. Good luck.