Q: Need car checked out before replacing transmission.

My transmission is slipping. I think I need my transmission fluid changed. In addition, I need to have the car checked out to see how road worthy it is. I am not against getting a new transmission, but want to make sure the engine will hold up if I do.

A: If the transmission is slipping you may sim...

If the transmission is slipping you may simply have a low fluid level. I would recommend checking the fluid level as the first step. If the fluid level is low have the system topped off and see if anything changes. If the slip goes away your transmission should be ok. If not there may be a bigger issue. If this is the case I would enlist the help of a professional from YourMechanic to do a full inspection of your vehicle to inform you of its road worthiness. The professional should also be able to determine what the issue with your transmission is. If your transmission is in need of replacement, have it replaced soon in order to prevent engine damage so it will hold up for the new one.