Q: My car will crank over but won't start. 2000 Ford Taurus

As I was driving my engine light popped on. Then my car started slowing down without me pushing on the break and wouldn't let me go any faster so I pulled over. As soon as I pulled over the car died and antifreeze started coming out of the resivour. My heat gage didn't move the whole time. I tried to start the car back up and it started but then it died right after. I also don't have any heat what so ever even when there is antifreeze in it. We had it towed to my house and we let it sit overnight and tried to start it up the next day and it still wouldn't star . It would crank over but wouldnt start. What could be the problem?

Hello - the first task is to extract whatever problem codes set the Check Engine light. These will guide diagnosis. Check next for a missing or shredded serpentine belt. If this belt failed, the alternator and water pump would no longer have power to turn them. This failure could also have been a fuel supply issue (fuel pump relay or fuel pump failure), ignition (crankshaft position sensor, coils or ignition module). I would recommend an engine stall inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. It also sounds like you have a "borderline problem" cooling system, which needs some attention as well.

3. My car will crank over but won't start. 2000 Ford Taurus