Q: 2007 kia optima code P0011, changed oil and filter. Safe to drive it?

asked by on December 28, 2017

Check engine light on, code P0011. Had oil and filter changed but the check engine light is still on. Is it safe to drive home- about 30 miles- without blowing up the engine? It will be at least a week before I can have any additional work done (if needed).

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

There is only so much that I can tell from this desk. but you will probably be all right. P0011 usually indicates a problem with the variable camshaft timing device. In most cases the car will run without trouble. The one exception would be if the code were occurring because a timing belt had jumped a notch. If that has happened then you run the risk of serious engine damage by driving it. It’s your call, but the only 100% safe bet would be to have the car towed. If you contact YourMechanic, they can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Kia and let you know exactly what is the problem.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr