Q: What parts will I need for a timing chain replacement and how many of each. Is my engine interference or non interference?

asked by on November 08, 2016

what parts will i need for a timing chain replacement and how many of each and is my engine intereference or non interference when it quit it wouldnt let me press the gas so i let it roll and pulled over n turned it off they said it was jumping timing.. it turn over but dont start and if any what kind of noises would it make would it be knocking? i just got a check engine light nothing else

Hello - your engine does use a timing chain, and that engine is not an interference (valve-to-piston) engine. However, having said that - if the chain breaks, especially at anything above an idle, the broken chain can jam the crankshaft sprocket, bringing a lot of rotating mass to a halt suddenly, and most likely with damage to something in the timing chain area of the engine.

Worn timing chain guides, and a stretched timing chain (or weak tensioner) will cause all sorts of metallic slapping or tapping noises. If the engine has jumped time, it may not make much noise, but as you have noticed, won’t start either.

Many engine parts suppliers make timing chain kits which include all the bits (3 chains, 4+ chain guides, multiple idler pulleys, a new tensioner, etc. By all means, buy the kit - a better value, avoids not having all the right bits, updated tensioner, etc. Check the problem codes that have turned on the Check Engine light - they will call out an "out of time" engine problem.

I would recommend having a Check Engine Light inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.