Q: Malfunction indictor lamp comes on and car won't move

For the past several years, I have had this same ongoing problem regarding the transmission, shifting, and gears. After trying to shift into Drive, the malfunction indicator lamp comes on and the car won't move. It will rev in place, like when in neutral. The first repair job replaced the electrical led light assembly and the front wiring assembly harness. The 2nd work was performed 2 weeks after that when the transmission inhibitor switch was replaced, as well as the cruise control switch. Yesterday, while driving I had the same problem. While pulling out of a parking space, I went into Drive and lost the shifting/acceleration capability. I then put the car back into Park for just a few moments and then tried again. The gear then popped into Drive. This intermittent problem has been happening since yesterday. The malfunction indicator lamp has been on continually since then. Is this problem fixable and would you please give me advice on how to proceed?

A few different things have the potential to cause the transmission faults you have described. The most common would be a transmission position sensor/range switch, neutral safety switch, shift solenoid, low fluid level, or the transmission itself.

I’d recommend getting some help from a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who will be able to diagnose the cause of your warning light and perform any repairs required.