Q: My car will only shift into reverse and neutral, can't get it into the drive gear

My car was driving fine. I was making a k turn and when I put it in reverse, I was unable to move my shifter to drive. It moves from park, to reverse, to neutral but stops at drive. I have tried pressing the shift lock release but it still won't move into drive. Yesterday, my transmission fluid was empty so we put some in. After a few minutes, the car was able to gear into drive. It worked! So upsetting to wake up This morning, and it's back stuck in drive. Any advice would be so helpful. Thank you!

This may be a result of low transmission fluid or potentially a faulty transmission control module. A faulty transmission control module may cause a delay in acceleration or erratic shifting of gears. The transmission control module has various sensors such as vehicle speed sensors, wheel speed sensors, throttle position sensors, turbine speed sensor, and transmission fluid temperature sensors that all direct information to it in order for it to perform it’s function. Other functions controlled by the TCM are components such as a kick down switch, traction control system, and cruise control module. Any of these may also affect the way the transmission control module performs and controls the transmission and the shifting of your vehicle. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your location to properly diagnose your transmission problem.

3. My car will only shift into reverse and neutral, can't get it into the drive gear