Q: Transfer case making grinding noise

asked by on February 16, 2016

The transfer case in my truck is making a grinding noise when I accelerate and at low RPMs.

Hello. A grinding sound from the transfer case on this truck is an indication of an internal chain failure. This happens often on this vehicle. I will typically drain the fluid from the transfer case and see if there is any metal in it. If there is then the unit needs to be rebuilt or replaced. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to determine what is causing the grinding noise.