Q: A/C Off Due To High Engine Temp

I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze and as I was driving a message came on my dash that said ac off due to high engine temp what does this mean and why would it come on

Car is running hotter than normal Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

This is a safety measure programmed into the engine control unit. If it senses the engine temperature is high, or is not reading engine temperature at all, it would deactivate the air conditioning system. The a/c compressor is driven my the engine and creates a load on it. That load increases engine temperature. If the ecu already thinks the engine temperature is incorrect or too high, it deactivates the a/c to reduce that load and temperature. The engine temperature can be above normal due to a circulation problem. If the thermostat is not opening fully or not at all, coolant will not circulate through the engine to the radiator for proper cooling. If the coolant temperature sensor is faulty and not providing readings to the ecu, the programming will deactivate the a/c also to protect the engine. Another issue can be air flow. When the a/c is turned on, the radiator fan will typically turn on as well. first or all to provide air flow through the a/c condenser to provide you with cool air, and second to keep the engine temperature within range. If the fan is not coming on for any reason, the engine temperature will climb as well. Have a certified technician inspect the vehicle as soon as possible. Continued driving with am engine running hot can cause severe engine damage.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr