Q: Trouble with exterior lights - 2010 Mercury Milan

I’m having trouble with the exterior lights. There are 3 total fuses for my car: high beams, low left beam, and low right beam. The low beam fuses, in the manual, are #7 & #8; high beam: #17. The #7 fuse is not there and my headlights are not working. I replaced the driver side bulb, which had been broken in an accident, but before doing that, the passenger bulb (which had been intact and working), then stopped turning on. When I turn the switch on past the parking light selection the parking lights go out, however the headlights do not turn on. Since the #7 fuse was not originally there and was not the cause since it previously worked, is it needed -- and also, why won’t the lights turn on?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. It sounds lik...

Hello, thanks for writing in. It sounds like you will need to replace both bulbs and all three fuses. The price of bulbs and fuses is so cheap most of the time, that the amount of time to test each component and inspect for errors, is usually not worth it. Driver safety and properly functioning headlights are very critical and we never recommend operating the vehicle at night without them 100% functional. Replacing all the fuses (and yes, absolutely replace #7) and bulbs should solve the issue. If the problem continues, you will want to start checking the power supply and then the switch. This can be done with a multi-meter. If you'd like to have this checked for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your headlight issue and make the correct repair.