Q: Airbag on/off key switch is missing. Need to know if airbag is active or not.

Passenger airbag key switch is missing. All I can see is the plug that it would get hooked up to. I was just wondering if there was a way to tell if the airbag is set to on or off.

Hello, thank you for writing in. If the switch is missing, and the electrical connections are not jumped (connected to each other without the switch in the middle), then the airbag circuit is open and it will not be active. If whomever removed the switch had the forethought to keep the circuit connected, then it may be active. You should be able to pull air bag information from the computer with a scan tool. Typically you can get the basic diagnostic codes pulled from a basic scan tool at an automotive parts store, but the airbag information may need a more high tech reader. Manufacture specific are the best if you have access to a dealership or properly equipped technician. A good enough scan tool should provide at least the voltage readings (if it is on or not) from the bags’ sensors. For more help scanning the computer, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

• Airbag on/off key switch is missing. Need to know if airbag is active or not.