Q: My car is sluggish and struggles going uphill.

asked by on June 05, 2016

My car struggles to go up inclines and hills. The revs jump around when I try to accelerate but it struggles to get up to a certain speed. I am concerned with this because this could be potentially dangerous for me when on the interstate. Could it be the accelerator? Fuel pump? Transmission Range Sensor?

Hello. If the engine revs up and the vehicle is not responding then it is usually caused by a slipping transmission. If it is just a power loss, then the issue may be a bad catalytic converter clogging the exhaust. I usually scan the computer first for codes to see if anything comes up. Any codes can indicate what may be going on. If there are no codes then I usually move on to test the fuel pressure and exhaust back pressure. If both of those are fine then a pressure test of the transmission must be done, but from your description it does sound like a transmission issue. If you want to have this diagnosed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your acceleration issue and determine what repairs are needed.