Q: My car is sluggish and struggles going uphill.

My car struggles to go up inclines and hills. The revs jump around when I try to accelerate but it struggles to get up to a certain speed. I am concerned with this because this could be potentially dangerous for me when on the interstate. Could it be the accelerator? Fuel pump? Transmission Range Sensor?

A: Hello. If the engine revs up and the vehicl...

Hello. If the engine revs up and the vehicle is not responding then it is usually caused by a slipping transmission. If it is just a power loss, then the issue may be a bad catalytic converter clogging the exhaust. I usually scan the computer first for codes to see if anything comes up. Any codes can indicate what may be going on. If there are no codes then I usually move on to test the fuel pressure and exhaust back pressure. If both of those are fine then a pressure test of the transmission must be done, but from your description it does sound like a transmission issue. If you want to have this diagnosed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your acceleration issue and determine what repairs are needed.