Why sometimes car vibrates at low speed? focus ford 2012

Q: Why sometimes car vibrates at low speed?

asked by on February 06, 2017

Hi everyone. I purchased used Ford Focus 2012 a month ago and its mileage is around 40400 miles.

In the first week itself, I've noticed Screeeeeech sound while taking reverse and then applying brakes. The frequency of hearing this sound is very less.

And then after few weeks, I noticed huge vibration in steering for about 3 to 4 seconds while accelerating at lower gear.

And today, I noticed the same problem. The vibration is much greater than before and it happened when I apply brakes. The first vibration occurred when I slowed down in speed breaker and the second happened when I applied brakes during the turn and I was about to lose the control.

So, after noticing these things I went to mechanic explained him everything. Unfortunately, none of the things happened when he took the test drive.

Any idea what's going on with my car? I don't have even basic knowledge to I identify where the problem is.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi There, What you are describing is a sign of warped brake rotors. As you may know, when you press on your brake pedal, this activates a hydraulic pressure which forces small pistons inside your brake calipers to push the brake pads against the brake rotors which is what causes the stopping power you are familiar with. When this happens, an enormous amount of heat is generated due to the friction between the brake pads and rotors. As the brake rotors eventually cool down and then heat up again the next time you press on the brakes, over time this can cause them to warp slightly causing very small low spots on the surface of the brake rotor. When this happens and the brake pads are applied again to the rotors, this causes an uneven surface (on the rotor) to be applied to the flat surface brake pad, which can cause a vibration, shaking or very loud grinding sound. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your brake rotors.