Q: Engine light came on and the gas cap is stuck

A week ago after filling my gas tank, I drove my car a while and then went on vacation. Upon returning back home, my engine light came on. When I called a car service to make an appointment, I was asked why I was bringing it in and I explained the engine light. She asked if it had come on after filling my tank. She told me to tighten the fuel cap. Before tightening it, I tried to open it and the cap wouldn’t come off - totally stuck! Can you tell me what to do to get the gas cap open?

Hello. Your particular vehicle has what is known as the smart pin which will lock the gas when the vehicle itself is locked. If you unlock the vehicle with the key fob, the pin should disengage and you will be able to turn the gas cap. If it does not work when you unlock the door, you may have an issue with the smart pin itself.

If that is the case I suggest having a certified technician diagnose the issue with your gas cap and check the smart pin system in particular to see if there are any underlying issues.