Q: Loud noise when car’s running, probably the exhaust

asked by on November 03, 2015

My 2009 Nissan Sentra has been getting louder and louder over the last couple of weeks. It sounds like there is a hole in the exhaust. I looked under the car this morning and there is so much rust on the pipe connecting the muffler to the exhaust that fumes are coming straight out of the sides! My car only has 42,000 miles on it, so how can this happen to such a relatively new car?

Many of these cars have issues with rusted exhaust pipes. The pipes seem to start rusting at the weld seams and can rust through in a few years, especially if the car is located in a state that uses salt on their streets or near an ocean with salt spray exposure. Nissan will not cover the pipes if you are out of the basic warranty period. You can take the vehicle to an exhaust shop and have the pipes replaced with aftermarket pipes which will last longer than the OEM pipes.