Q: Good morning. My o2 sensor is out. I can't remember which one but when I schedule for someone to fix it, will they have the correc

asked by on October 22, 2016

My check engine light is on and recently I had it checked at auto zone and the code came up as a heated o2 sensor. Will the mechanic have the correct o2 sensor with them when they come? Will it be a good brand? Will the mechanic reset the codes so the check engine light will disappear? Thanks for your time.

Hi there. Did the gentleman at auto zone check for proper voltage going to the sensor? Proper return? Was a pin check performed at the engine computer to make sure that the computer was sending the signal? I would be disappointed to schedule a part replacement only to find out that the sensor was not the problem. When anyone connects a scan tool and reads a code, that is all that is accomplished. The code is a reference, not a diagnostic, that lets the qualified technician know where the fault was detected, not the fault itself.

I understand that heater circuits burn out in O2 sensors all the time, but with higher mileage vehicles there are times where pin fit, wire harness, and the engine computer could be at fault. I strongly recommend a Check Engine Light inspection to diagnose the fault and then the repair so you know that it has been fixed right the first time and no money and time were wasted by replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a Check Engine Light inspection and O2 sensor replacement.