Q: Car will not start but the dash lights turn on.

When I attempt to start my car the following happens: 1. The dash comes on (gauges active etc..) 2. There is a very small click but no "starting sound" (engine turning over) 3. Even when I attempted to jump the car figuring it maybe a bad battery it still did not start. NOTE: the problem began yesterday when I was out running errands. When I tried to start my car to head home it took 10-12 attempts and then it started. This morning however, after jumping it and making 30+ attempts the car would not start.

Often when a battery has a bad/damaged cell internally, it may not accept a jump start. The easiest thing to do would be to replace the battery with a known good battery, whether temporarily swapping one from another vehicle or purchasing a new one if you are unsure of the battery age.

If it does not start with a known good battery, then there may be mechanical issues with the starter. If the starter is visible, try lightly tapping it LIGHTLY with a small hammer or whatever you can access it with while someone else is attempting to start it. If it starts, then you need a new starter.

If these tow things fail to start the vehicle, then further diagnosis of your starting issue should be done by a local repair shop or mobile technician. Good luck.

3. Car will not start but the dash lights turn on.