Overheating at idle but blowing cool air. Also when I pre...

Q: Overheating at idle but blowing cool air. Also when I press the gas it cools it down. What could be the issue?

asked by on June 09, 2017

I've had this car for a few years now. Never had a single issue. Today, it starts overheating. The air got hot and then it got very cool. Also when I'm idle it starts to overheat. But if I press the gas the temp goes alllll the way down. What could be the issue?

Hi There, Overheating with the AC on is generally caused by a couple of possibilities. When the AC compressor is beginning to fail, this may incur an increased load on the motor as it works harder than usual to turn a bad compressor. This increased load causes the motor to work harder than it otherwise normally would, resulting in the motor overheating. The other possibility may be a cooling system that is not working efficiently. This may be caused by a clogged radiator, blocked or clogged radiator condenser fins, a water pump that is not pumping correctly or potentially cooling fans that are not working properly.