Q: Power steering stops working at low speeds

asked by on May 23, 2016

Hello. I have issues with power steering. It works fine when I accelerate, at high speeds. But, when I drive slowly the power steering stops functioning. The car has 40,000 miles on it and there are no leaks. Do you have any advice?

The slower the vehicle is moving, the harder the power steering system has to work. So if the power assist is failing at slower speeds, the more common issue is either a faulty pump or a serpentine belt that is slipping at lower RPM’s. Belt tension should also be checked. One final possibility could be a bad power steering rack, but that is only if one of the first two items is not your issue. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the expertise to inspect the power steering system and correct the slow speed steering issue.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr